Drupal 8 Sub Themes and Stylesheets
Creating a Drupal 8 Sub Theme
It has been about a month since I started an exercise to upgrade to migrate from Drupal 6 to Drupal 8 using the migration tools provided in Drupal.
In the time since my last post on the subject, I have been concentrating on updating the look and feel of the theme. Note that you can see a listing of all my posts here.
Creating a Sub Theme was one of the resources I used.
For this example , the sub theme will be called hartleyvoicescouk
Create Sub Theme Info and Library Files
The basic configuration requires:
- a sub theme folder in the Drupal ‘Themes’ Folder (Note this is not in the ‘Core’ folders)
- an info file to which describes the sub theme region structure, libraries and parent theme
hartleyvoicescouk sub theme folder structure
The Bartik base theme was used as a basis for this Sub theme.
Activate the Sub Theme
Sub Theme Stylesheet - style.css
This was the tricky and time consuming part, mainly as for each of the style elements I wanted to customise, I needed to find the related element in the Parent Theme. These were generally found in one of the css files in the bartik -> css -> components folder
within the hartleyvoicescouk css folder a style.css file contained all the custom css for the sub theme.
Hartley Voices with Drupal 8
This was quite good….. but….
Drupal 8 Shortcoming - Standard Support for Basic HTML 5 Audio Elements
I came across a shortcoming with the Drupal 8 that I cannot resolve. Hartley Voices is a live music events agency and so there is a need to support audio / mp3.
Currently, the Hartley Voices site is running a version of the Yahoo Media Player that I customised to use since Yahoo ended support of it’s media player. Details of how I use the Yahoo Media Player at my Git Page. The simplicity and minimalism is, I feel still unsurpassed.
I was very surprised that Drupal, as a ‘modern’ CMS does not support standard HTML5
Options Going Forward
Since using Jekyll as a static site generators and prose.io as an online editor, I am now seriously considering converting the entire Drupal 6 site to Jekyll or potentially Hugo.